funsec mailing list archives

Re: Windows-based cash machines 'easily hacked'

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:22:20 -0500

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:40:36AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
There's just no excuse - IMO - for using the most insecure (in
practice) operating system on the planet for an ATM...especially in the
presence of all the alternatives.  (Not all the alternatives are really
_good_, but practically anything else is better than Windows.)

I strongly concur.

And I'll go one step further: use of ANY general-purpose operating
system on an ATM is a bad move.  It only needs to perform a small subset
of the computing operations available in a general-purpose OS, therefore
it shouldn't be running one.  What it *should* be running is something
tailored explicitly for the task at hand, which deliberately omits
every bit of functionality that's unessential.  (Every excess function
represents increased potential for exploitation as well as increased
software maintenance and testing effort.)

Now whether that OS/monitor is built from the ground up or whether
it's built by stripping an existing OS is an interesting question.
I think for this particular application, "ground-up" is a better
approach, since cost is obviously not an issue and because it
diminishes the risk of propagating known flaws in the general-purpose
OS downward.  Moreover, ground-up allows for the full SDLC --
where I'd hope that security requirements would be allowed to
trump all others.  (Which is often not the case in general-purpose
OS design.)

Great ideas and I couldnt agree more. You're about 5 years too late.

:)