funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes ...

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:06:34 +0000 (UTC)

: > I didn't find anything right off, but I certainly
: > remember BBS' in the early 1990's (well before '95) doing virus scanning
: > of uploaded files. One might argue that such activity would be prior-art
: > to using FTP to upload files and scanning.
:
: Interesting point.  Manual operation, but it makes the automating
: "obvious."  In fact, I rather suspect that there were BBS utilities that
: *did* automate the scanning of all uploads: I didn't run a BBS, but I
: recall similar functions mentioned by the BBS moderators to whose boards
: I was uploading info.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I did mean that the BBS was doing automated
scans of all uploaded files, after the transfer was completed, before
showing it in the file x-fer section as a file available for download.

So two things here; first, this was BBS not the FTP protocol and second,
this wasn't an "appliance" handling the scanning, like the TM patent
says. Again, having a second machine do it instead of the actual server
is hardly novel or new. In fact, one could argue that on the larger BBS
of the early 90's, they *did* have multiple machines working together,
and one would handle the file uploads, scan the files, etc, before
passing it to another to be hosted for download.