funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:57:02 -0500

On Jan 30, 2008 2:14 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

- -- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

I didn't think it was an attack against open source software, but
rather a patent on "virus scanning on ftp and smtp gateways"

Why? It's a valid patent -- it was invented & implemented by our
(now CEO) Eva Chen.

While that may be true, I still think it is a douchebag thing to enforce.

If someone started charging all for "transmitting information over a
physical medium" and I had to pay for talking, I would call a spade a
spade and say "that sucks".

It doesn't make it any different that I am friends with someone who
works at the company in question.

Do all AV companies pay Dr. Solly for "checking code for malicious activity"?

If you don't like the patent system, rail against that.

Don't get me started ;-)

-JP