funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the Declarationof Independence ?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:57:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Drsolly wrote:

The fact remains, England, the true land of the free, abolished the slave
trade and slavery long before "all men are created equal" America.

If memory serves, so did France. This played a critical role during the American civil war.

While the powers--Britain and France--were apparently about to announce their support for The Confederation in the south, much like France did during the American independence war, they decided against it.

They had many good reasons for doing it, from "getting back at the colonies" to practical ones such as maintaining the flow of Spice, I mean Oil.. errr, Cotton. That was the life-blood of the British empire.

Aside for the many good reasons, they were encouraged by the fact the Yanks had no good leadership and kept losing battle after battle in an almost ridiculous fashion. General Lee on the other end, although stuck to some failed concepts, was amazing. It was a very bloody battle which no one won (I'd say both lost) that was what tipped the scale. The North did not win, but it did drive away invaders, which was percieved as victory.

Which battle that was you Americans are going to have to fill in, it is unthinkable I'd know more about your history than you.

The only real reason the empires delayed before that battle which would have pushed them to it, was that they already abolished slavery and supporting the south was something their people would have had a hard time to stomach.

All the above is spoken of as fact, which it isn't. I have very little knowledge in this field and even if I did, history is always about best guess. I like that one.

        Gadi.