funsec mailing list archives

Re: Louisiana Bankers Set to Go Wireless

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:32:08 +0000

Paul Ferguson wrote:
[...]
"It's bandwidth, lots of bandwidth, and it's more secure than a regular
phone line," said John Burns, CEO of ERF Enterprise Network Services. "It's
actually quite a bit faster. Much more control, faster speed, faster
response, and it's a private communications network the bank creates for
itself, whereas with phone lines you're sharing with everyone."
[...]

Wow. Just frickin' wow. So much ignorance stuffed into a tiny paragraph. The only thing scarier is that *both* the banking and police technology analysts bought into this tripe.

[...]
> The company, ERF Wireless out of League City, Texas, says sending data
> through the air will be faster than land lines, even safer from
> hackers, and not prone to storm damage like high-wires or buried
> lines.
[...]

Apparently standard signal transmission physics doesn't apply in Louisiana. Neat. Also interesting is that the towers the gear is on are apparently immune to hurricanes, lightning, and bored hooligans.

I think it was actually a typesetting error; '... out of League City, Texax' - probably should have been 'Out Of League City, Texas'. I suspect Mr. Burns may also be a frequent user of the phrase "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Well, best of luck to Mr. Burns. Hope their first rollout is in Homer, Louisiana .. just so the banks and police can keep context when collectively yelling "D'oh!". Now then.. Smithers, fetch me my pringles can!

Best~
-d ::plunks his money on a bored 12yr old, Pringles, script kiddie tools, and a need to kill 15 minutes after school.::