funsec mailing list archives

Re: Never forget...

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0500

On 9/12/07, somevelvetsidechannel () hushmail com
<somevelvetsidechannel () hushmail com> wrote:

True. Guns can't defend against statistically probable death
scenarios like drowning in the pool and bathtub, car accidents,
yada yada. What is their use anyhow? Countermeasure against
statistically improbable situations like marauding criminals,
Japanese halloweeners, and genocidal governments? If you're finding
that these things are not statistically improbable then time for a
change of scenery. If you are living in fear of the improbable then
your comfort, security, and freedom have already been compromised.

It is statistically improbable that I will be in a car wreck tomorrow,
doesn't mean that I shouldn't wear my seatbelt. That's a non-argument.
You don't prepare for only the things you know are going to happen.
But, I'm wasting my time here, aren't I? You are all, in theory, in
the security field. You already KNOW about threat levels, defensive
postures, etc., etc. - you just REFUSE to see a gun in the same way
you see a firewall or proxy or wire cutters. Frankly, its not all that
likely that the company I work for is going to be hacked by the next
new exploit, doesn't mean we should stop updating our equipment! Its
not likely that someone is going to enter the building and gain access
to our network for malicious purposes, doesn't mean we shouldn't keep
the data center's door locked! Its not likely that my wife will be
raped, doesn't mean she shouldn't have the opportunity to save herself
(and prevent the would be rapist from ever raping again)!!

Frankly, and I think I've said this before, I can't believe we have
these discussions on this type of list. It SHOULD be a "duh shit"
argument for people who's purpose in life is to defend <something>.