funsec mailing list archives

Re: The Criminal Underground: A Walk on the Dark Side

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:01:08 -0400

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:32:56 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:

so most comcast machines send hash fragments over the web? or is it
just port 443 traffic to legitimate sites? I tried googling but found
only theory. If anyone has a good link I would appreciate it. It seems
impossible to me that they have no centralized communications, else
how would commands be given?

You want a *real* headache, contemplate the fun we'll have if the bad guys
ever release something that takes advantage of the emergent-systems properties
of self-assembling networks (basically, imagine a Storm worm, except it's able
to re-find other copies of itself dynamically if the C&C gets nuked.

http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2003/032603/Network_builds_itself_from_scratch_032603.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/emergence.htm

Now imagine trying to get something like *that* out of your Internet. ;)