funsec mailing list archives

High Concept Comedy: Security is Economic!

From: Bruce Ediger <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:36:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

The benefit of lowering it from N to N*0.95 needs to outweigh the costs of
the care and feeding of said beast.

Wait, you mean that "security" is an economic good, with costs (direct
and opportunity) and benefits that must be balanced!?!

What a concept!  Unfortunately, a concept TOO COMPLEX for the average
manager (much less CX0-leveler) to understand.

Why, just last Wednesday, I was informed that Sarb-Ox demands that all
source code files sport an elaborate, COBOL-style "flowerbox" full of
irrelevant, and possibly uninformative details about work sets and
dates and modifer-IDs.  Now, there's some make-work I can get behind,
since Sarb-Ox *doesn't* demand that developers put in any comments on file
check-in to the version control system, nor do we have to tie a check-in
to a change request or other requirement.  Nevertheless, THE FLOWERBOX
IS REQUIRED, costs be damned.

That's what a manager can understand, the 3 Great Traditions of Sarbanes
Oxley: Rum, Requirements and The Lash.

PS
Will sarcastic and/or sardonic humor make it "fun" enough, or is the low
information content and context-dependency of said sarcasm or sardony
not enough to clear the High Hurdle of "fun"sec?