funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:01:49 -0500

On 8/29/07, David Harley <david.a.harley () gmail com> wrote:
By the Wild West I meant (admittedly in a shorthand version) a social
context where there are virtually no legal restrictions on most "real"
weapons. I was making no moral judgements about frontier weapon culture or
assumptions about the use or misuse of weapons of any sort: I was pointing
out that the chances of any middle-ground politician in 21st century England
having any thought of relaxing gun controls more than a fraction is
hilarious, because the two contexts have very little in common. I don't
think it's likely that a conservative party would even relax them to
pre-Blair levels. That thought wasn't meant as a personal attack on you: if
I'd meant that I'd have been much more scathing.

I'm sure. To your point, I'll repeat a post you might not have seen.
Firearms are the most regulated industry in this country. As for your
country, I hope you're wrong. Eventually I think all free people get
tired of being hopeless, defenseless lemmings. And I have a hard time
believing that the country which birthed this one could ever not be
free.

That said, I'm going to ignore this debate and return to -my- weapon of
choice: it has six strings and the word Stratocaster on the headstock.
Admittedly, it would make one heck of a cudgel.

I could probably find at least one case of murder by guitar - not sure
about the Stratocastor part...