funsec mailing list archives

Re: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:26:18 -0400

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:15:48 +0200, Florian Weimer said:

Well, it seems to me that the current model is almost at the one
extreme of what is under consideration (regarding mandatory
disclosure).  But in my experience, even today, domain WHOIS data
lacks almost any operational value.  There doesn't seem to be any room
for improvement, and it can't get much worse, so I don't care either
way. 8-/

Once upon a time, the 'Technical Contact' was often a good way to get in touch
with a domain if their postmaster/hostmaster/security/abuse addresses were
brokken.  These days, it's safe to assume that the average clue level at the
other end has dropped low enough that it's not worth my time to tell the site
they have a problem - it's more productive to just null-route the offenders.