funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:42:22 -0500

On 5/21/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

There's an awful lot of people that have a really hard time making ends
meet on just one salary.  Then when the second parent starts working,
you suddenly have this big 800 pound gorilla called 'Child Care Costs'
that take a big chunk of that second paycheck.

I suppose "raise your own kids" is a solution wherever it is you live, but
for a large percentage of Americans, it's a non-starter.

So where you are, these people who have a hard time making "ends" meet
hire nanny's? Around here we take them to daycare - which is like
school for kids too young to go to school. The daycare places employ -
or should, and you as a parent should verify - certified adults who
know something about child development and possess skills beyond the
ability to teach your child a second language. Daycare is generally
much less expensive than a nanny - even an illegal nanny.

Doh!