funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:15:11 -0500

On 5/21/07, Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com> wrote:
You know, don't ask me.  Talk to contractors.   They'll tell you the
American's aren't showing up for the jobs.   As an example, there's a
local contractor trying to do a job at a local air force base, and since
the rules are so strict on immigrants, he has to use Americans.  That
project will take a _long_ time.  For every job he posts, he gets 100
Mexicans and 1 American.  But don't take my word for it.  Ask the
contractors for yourself.

The contractors around here have no difficulty in getting workers -
they call 'em employees.

And these aren't menial jobs, either.

Yes, they are. They're dirty, hard labor jobs. Anyone can do them, not
many can do them for a long time.

If you're in California, try to find some Americans to pick
strawberries, artichokes and all the rest of the food that California
produces.  It's all migrant labor.

And its seasonal. There's been a very long tradition of immigrant
workers performing those jobs. The pay isn't great but that's okay
since they're RETURNING home, and the money is incredible for back
home.

Or try to find an American girl to
be a nanny for your kids.

Raise you're own kids and a) you won't need a nanny; b) your kids
won't think themselves better than ever doing a hard day's work.

But to be honest, a friend of mine had a nanny. She was foreign and
she was legal. What's the big deal?

The best possible thing the illegals could do is stop working for just
one day.  And then people will have an eye-opening experience.

They tried that, no one cared. No one cared so little that half the
illegals didn't even bother showing up the next year.

I just think we've lost our sense of pragmatism here.

No, we're getting fed up. I will be the last to say we need to close
our borders. The stories of our embassies around the world becoming
barricaded prisons for its employees sickens me. But, I want you to
come here legally. I want you to be documented. I want you to NOT be a
convicted felon and I want you to NOT live off our welfare system or
get on our social security system without ever having paid into it.
That's not unreasonable. My great grandparents did it, why can't
anyone since?