funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 23:07:26 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Andy Sutton wrote:

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 22:09 +0100, Drsolly wrote:
I'm really not too bothered if a drunk wrecks his own car. It's his
recklessness getting me killed that infringes my rights.

I think you are both arguing the same point from a slightly different
angle: Someone is free to drink themselves to death, but not free to run
over little Debbie.  The place where you differ is that Brian seems to
be coming from the "no victim, no crime", and Solly from the "the crime
is the potential victim".  I apologize if I have misstated your
positions.

The crime is the endangerment. I say that a crime is committed even if
there isn't an accident on this occasion, just as it's a crime if you fire
into a crowd, even if you get lucky and miss everyone.

While I would not argue that driving a car while intoxicated is an
incredibly stupid thing to do, I have to side with Brian.  Mostly
because there are way too many threats out there to wrap laws around
them, something like the TSA banning toothpaste and knitting needles.

I don't feel threatened by someone else brushing their teeth or knitting,
even when they're drunk. I do feel threatened by someone drunk in charge
of a couple of thousand kilograms of metal moving at 100 kilometers per
hour.

The point isn't to protect people from their own folly, it's to protect me
from someone else's folly.

There are just too many potential crimes available to us.  Without a
victim, the crime loses a lot of its meaning.

"Drunk" could easily be replaced by "Mad" or "on the cell phone" in this
conversation.

Not sure what your point is here. Medically insane people don't get
driving licences, and driving one-handed while you do whatever (including
cell phone) can lose you your licence.