funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student NOT (no really, he was) arrested over Counter Strike map

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:59:00 -0500

On 5/7/07, Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu> wrote:

So yes, he was actually arrested.  No, no charges were filed, but
that's not the same as not being arrested.  Sanctions from the school
is one thing, but the /police/ thinking this was worth an arrest?
That's just silly.  While many things are subjective, hopefully most
folks can agree that a police arrest in this case was unnecessary.

I can agree. In most cases that's the case. I think leveler heads
might ask for police intervention - just to investigate the actual
risk. Frankly, I think the school over reacted and its punishment was
cruel. Don't think for a second that this incident isn't going to
follow this kid for the rest of his life. But, the ignorant feel safer
so, so be it.