funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 19:39:09 -0500

On 5/5/07, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
Passengers on Flight 93 only decided to fight back once they had learned via
cellphone that 2 other hijacked planes had just been turned into suicide
WMDs.  In almost all previous plane hijackings, earlier hijackers were not
bent of committing suicide and taking all the passengers with them.  So yes,
in 20/20 hindsight the Flight 93 passengers should have fought back earlier.
However, before 9/11 it probably would have been a mistake in most cases for
passengers to try to play army commandos.  To their credit, the passengers
on Flight 93 did realize that the rules had changed and they were able to
stop another WMD attack.

To their credit they stopped another attack, unfortunately they didn't
act quick enough to prevent their own deaths. There is plenty of room
for arguing how early on they found out what the terrorists' end game
was, but I tend to believe they simply didn't act quickly enough to
save their own lives.

One lesson I think that was learned in the 9/11 hijackings is that the
cockpit door of airplane should be kept locked from the inside while a plane
is in the air.

Why we had to wait until 9/11 to figure this out is beyond me, has
Israel not ALWAYS had reinforced and locked cockpit doors?