funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:07:20 -0400 (EDT)

    You and a *friend* play "Where's Waldo?". You solve the puzzle before
    your *friend*, and you want to prove to your *friend* you solved the
    puzzle, without giving him any hints.

This to me is between friends, which I've tried to keep in focus for
each of my posts.  Now, that said, it does become exponentially more
difficult to accomplish this same thing between non-friends - no
argument there.

I don't think so.  I actually haven't seen any solutions to the problem
as propounded.  All the "solutions" I've seen don't prove anything to
anyone until after the "proof" recipient has found Waldo - this may
have been acceptable by the intent of the original author of the
problem, but it's sure not how I read the wording.

Note that this is completely independent of whether the other person
can be trusted to not peek.  If peeking makes a difference, then I
don't consider it a valid answer to the challenge posed, because it
means that the purported solution does indeed give away information.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca