funsec mailing list archives

Re: Outlook 2007: one step forward, two steps back?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:03:53 +1200

rms () computerbytesman com wrote:

Is anyone else on the list using Outlook 2007?  Are you seeing more problems
with it vs. Outlook 2003?

The reason I'm asking is because the new Outlook 2007 HTML editor is giving
me grief.  The latest problem is that Outlook 2007 crashed when I tried to
convert an email messaging I was composing from HTML to plain text.  The
editor also messes up the formatting of some Web pages when pasting them
into an new email message.  I see the problem a lot at the Boston Globe Web
site (www.boston.com).

Also some old bugs weren't fixed.  For example, Outlook 2007 editor still
does not handle Web pages with frames.  It also messes up the formatting of
plain text Web pages when emailing them from Internet Explorer.

I gather you missed all the brouhaha about OL2k7 moving to using Word
(exclusively?) for its HTML handling?

Much as I dislike IE and the machinations they had to perform to make
it vaguely "safe" to use as the HTML wrangler for a MUA, obviously
moving to Word is a seriously retrograde step for all manner of
security and usability reasons...

Of course, your question suggests you care, so that begs the question
of why _ANYONE_ with half a concern for security and usability issues
would ever choose to use OL for their MUA in the first place.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald