funsec mailing list archives

Re: Congressman Ed Markey Wants Security Researcher Arrested

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:52:51 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:25:14 +0100 (BST)
From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
To: Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net>
Subject: Re: [funsec] Congressman Ed Markey Wants Security Researcher Arrested
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Fergie wrote:

This is... priceless.

Via 27B Stroke 6.

[snip]

Congressman Edward Markey (D-Mass.) wants the federal government to
arrest security researcher Christopher Soghoian for creating the
Northwest Airline Boarding Pass Generator, a site which lets anyone
create a facsimile of a Northwest Airlines boarding pass. Soghoian
hoped to spur Congress to look closely at the nation's aviation
security policies, which he calls "security theater."

Instead, Markey, a member of the House Homeland Security committee,
wants the site shut down and Soghoian arrested.

"The Bush Administration must immediately act to investigate, apprehend
those responsible, shut down the website, and warn airlines and
aviation security officials to be on the look-out for fraudsters or
terrorists trying to use fake boarding passes in an attempt to cheat
their way through security and onto a plane," Markey said in a
statement. "There are enough loopholes at the backdoor of our passenger
airplanes from not scanning cargo for bombs;

Oh? I didnt know that. Wouldn't it be a good idea to start doing that?

By the way, was it wise of the House Homeland Security committee to reveal
this information?

Of *COURSE* it was wise to reveal this info!  They need to be seen
DOING *SOMETHING*.  I mean, it *IS* Theatre, is it not?

Well, yes, I understand that. But as well as all the theatre, mightn't it
be a good idea to check cargo for bombs? Before it occurs to someone
naughty to put a bomb in there? I mean, I know it's a stretch, but it
might just occur to them, no?

I am *so* glad that I don't fly to America any more!