funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Firefox 2.0 Releases Privacy Storm

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:28:34 -0400

On 10/26/06, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
A cookie will record all your behaviour data when using Firefox and
provide the information free to Google, who can then use that
information for their own commercial purposes.

I haven't actually read the policy but I would assume they'd only use
aggregate data. Why would anyone object to that?

Although, the feature does require an explicit opt-in, it's an
unwelcome trade-off for many Firefox users, who believe that there is no
reason to tie-in phishing protection with providing free data to a
billion-dollar multinational.

Are we all children here or mentally incompetent? If you don't want to
send the data to Google then say no. Take your business elsewhere.

Well, even if you do allow google to record every site you go to, they
promise only to send you phinshing scams that you would be interested
in falling prey too.

long live scam-sense!

-JP