funsec mailing list archives

RE: How ABC News help out a Congressional page

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:25:37 -0400

It has been pretty clear since Rep. Foley resigned he had a problem with
going after teenage males.  However, the IMs conversations that ABC News
published are of questionable quality.  We really don't know how well they
were verified and with whom before being published by ABC News.

The reason for my concern is that Brian Ross of ABC News has had problems
with sources before:

   http://www.computerbytesman.com/911/fishy.htm

We also don't know who was shopping this Foley story around to the press
since July and if they had some other motive besides protecting pages from
Foley.

It's unfortunate that former pages have now become pawns in this politicized
media battle.

Foley really should have been dealt with back in 2003 or 2004 when his aide
brought up the issue to Hastert's office.  Clearly this problem wasn't going
to just disappear.

Richard