funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Perspective: Wresting free from a software straitjacket"

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:07:43 -0600

On 12/5/06, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:

> > It is not just that simple that the evils of capitalism will out
> > whereever its grubby money is cast...
>
> As best I can understand that sentence I'm immediately provoked into
> asking you what you do for a living? Do you work in trade only or rely
> on donations?

Imagining, for a moment, that you you were to have a functionally
useful brain, we can see that I was, for the purposes of argument,
further simplifying the statement of _ferg's_ argument for the purposes
of disputing it.  That need not mean I agree with it -- in fact
suggests I probably do not -- so the relevance of your question here
would be what?

As I said, I couldn't follow the sentence so my interpretation was
only a guess. Perhaps if you upped your grammar skills when writing
(hopefully) drunken rants we would need these childish replies from
you.

Of course it is -- hell, I compressed ~45 years of complex history into
a few hundred words of _analysis_ and added a dash of opinion.  To say
that I had provided, or even suggest that I had intended to provide, a
complete history of the development of the Internet would be even more
ludicrous than saying that my long-running assessment of you as a total
moron is a complete personal profile of you.

I like the wikipedia definition of a moron
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_%28psychology%29) as it refers to
someone with "a genetically determined mental age between 8 and 12".
My kids are now just beyond that age and have just begun to learn how
to react to others without name calling. Perhaps you could grow up
some and thereby catch up with my children?

Of course, just because one has, in so few words, provided a highly
focussed assessment of one aspect of such a period in history does not
necessarily make that assessment any less accurate than characterizing
you as a total moron need be...

And being vague and wordy doesn't lead to a great characterization of
you either. Go figure.

> ...  While the protocol might not be what we want
> NOW, who knew THEN? It was all new, to everyone. We weren't ever
> expected to run out of IP addresses either, remember?

If you had read my whole posting for its total focus and meaning,

There was an overall focus and meaning to the rambling rant...perhaps
there was, and I was just put off by your first sentence. I'll have to
re-read it.

rather than just focussing on the few words or concepts your limited
intellect seems capable of grasping, you would have realized that I
could have substituted any of several other common lower or higher
level real-world protocols into that sentence without changing the
meaning of the total post, so again, you are focussing on and
questioning irrelevancies.

What other protocols might you have used in the discussion of the
Internet's development? You being smarter than I is and all...

But what else should we expect of a total moron?

Fathead! Phhbbbb!!!