funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:20:34 -0800

On 12/4/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

You can copyright your street if you made it. If you created your house,
then you own the copyright to it just as you would any sculpture. You do
not to take any action, the copyright is automatically yours. But it's up to
you to enforce the copyright, if it's violated.

Date sent:              Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:41:23 -0600
From:                   "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>

News to me and I'm pretty sure not exactly true either, especially in
this instance. In the US (at least) I am free to take a photograph
from a public place of virtually anything (so long as I'm not peeping
through your windows).

You're both right--but, of course, you're talking about different things.

Alan is talking about copyright, Brian, and he is perfectly correct, even in the US.
There are plenty of instances of companies that are very vigorous in enforcing
their IP rights, going so far as to ban photography of certain areas or items.

Brian, you're talking privacy, and those issues do differ substantially.  Another
poster noted that you can request video footage from surveillance cameras in the
UK, and figured that it was basically the same thing as was going on with
Microsoft, only Microsoft was more convenient.  I think it is, which is why I will
be very interested to see what happens when MS tries to film in Canada.  We've
been much more restrictive in terms of surveillance cameras.  In BC, there is a
certain area of Vancouver where the store owners have been trying to get the
police to put in surveillance cameras, and the courts have said no way.  (In
another city, the store owners have been able to get the police to put up cameras.
The courts have [twice, if I recall correctly] told the cops to take the cameras
down, but so far they are still operating.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The real problem is in the hearts and minds of men. It is not a
problem of physics but of ethics. It is easier to denature
plutonium than to denature the evil from the spirit of man.
                                                   - Albert Einstein
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm