funsec mailing list archives

RE: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:55:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:

On Po, 2006-12-04 at 11:11 +0000, Drsolly wrote:
In my case, there's the issue of copyright. As the owner and creator of my
face and body shape, I claim intellectual property in it, and they would
have to negotiate a licence to use it or any deriative work based on it,
such as a picture of me.

Oh, you created yourself? Nice :)

Well, partly. Especially the outward appearance, which is what a photogaph
copies.

For example, the style of my hair, the presence/absence of a mustache and
beard, the length of my eyebrows, and, especially, the size of my stomach.
In addition, there's the clothes that I choose to wear (including my hat).
It all adds up to a "work of creation", possibly some people might even
call it a "work of art" (even an ugly object can be a work of art) in
which the overall appearance is mostly my own work (including elements
that I have paid other people to create).

You cannot simply copy someone else's intellectual property without
their permission. How would Microsoft feel if people felt that they could
copy their intellectual property?