funsec mailing list archives

Re: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:16:56 -0700

Axel Pettinger wrote:
Sorry, but in both cases it certainly isn't necessary to create new
malware. Simply open your eyes, there're enough "new" malicious code
files lying on the "street" of the Internet. Simply collect them and use
them to test your favorite av scanners. Do that for a while then you'll
know what you can expect from them. At least such samples are real
malware samples found ITW ...

So, take some random program I find in the wild that I don't know its history, what it does, which AV companies have already seen it and have a head start on, can't control how different it is, whether it actually functions, whether its designed to screw with my test results, etc...

I hope that's not how most people would perform a fair test.

                                                BB