funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will Amnesty International be taking up the case of DavidCarruthers of BetOnSports?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:01:18 -0400

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:46:39 CDT, Brian Loe said:

I still say that's a mischaractization of that program. They're not
"monitoring" phone calls of everyone in the country - they're calling
call data. THEN, when they KNOW something - like 12 guys in Canada are
terrorists and they've been calling the US - they can go back to that
call data and view calls made, and/or start monitoring those phones.

You're talking about the *known* program.

Give me a *good* reason to believe there's not also a "content" program,
given that we've already had Carnivore/Omnivore/whatever it is now, and
a president that has publicly said "I am the only authority as long as we
are in a never-to-be-ended war".  And even if it *starts* as "anti terrorism",
how soon before it has the *same* mission creep as we've *already* seen with
the existing Patriot act (the DoJ advising local LEO how to use Patriot
rules to go after crystal meth dealers rather than terrorists, etc).

It doesn't even matter *what* the other program is - the fact that the
"anti terrorism flight data" program is apparently not *just* anti-terrorism
doesn't give people warm and fuzzies about *other* programs behaving
themselves.

I'd expect that you, as a "civil libertarian", would be among the first to
see that....