funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Researchers Crack Codes to ESA's Galileo GPS

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:55 -0400

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:56:24 EDT, Jeff Kell said:
Drsolly wrote:

B) if Bush decides that open access helps the "turists" then they'll close
it, and we'll be left without a GPS unless we make our own.
Indeed.  Have we forgotten the civilian GPS "fuzzing" feature they
disabled in Gulf War I?

I've heard rumor that the US government itself has forgotten about Selective
Availability, and has enough GPS directional nav aids installed in non-combat
gear that if they did it again, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

There's been research on how to squawk SA on only those GPS that are
above-horizon in the combat theatre, so elsewhere you always have line-of-sight
to enough sources not doing SA so you can navigate, but I don't know whether
it's current state is deployable or deplorable. ;)

Trivia:  During Gulf War I, we didn't have a full constellation of GPS
orbited yet - and the bombing runs on Baghdad were carefully timed for
those times when at least 5 were above-horizon at the time (most of the
time only 3 or 4 were visible).