funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Researchers Crack Codes to ESA's Galileo GPS

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:56:24 -0400

Drsolly wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, der Mouse wrote:

Galileo is Europe's answer to the United States' GPS.

Ummm...I mist be missing something.  How can a closed, for-pay system
be an "answer to" a wide-open system that still works perfectly well?

A) it's more accurate, and

B) if Bush decides that open access helps the "turists" then they'll close
it, and we'll be left without a GPS unless we make our own.
Indeed.  Have we forgotten the civilian GPS "fuzzing" feature they
disabled in Gulf War I?

Jeff