funsec mailing list archives

Re: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:31:07 -0400

On 8/29/06, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
> Remember - it's the *exact* same thing, morally, as if you had been keeping
> a virus sample that somebody else wrote, and you whoopsed and let it loose.

I disagree that accidentally releasing an instance of a known virus
sample is as bad as releasing an instance of an unknown virus sample
that you crafted.

What if the viruses you create are programmed to only work on a
private IP range (10.254.127.0/24), or that expire after a certain
date (say 1 week).

Does that remove the unwanted moral hangups?

-JP