funsec mailing list archives

Power to the People

From: "Justin Polazzo" <jpolazzo () thesportsauthority com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:30:20 -0600

I guess you guys have been aware of this one for a bit, but this is the
first I have heard of it. Does anyone know the potential B/W on the
powerlines?

----------------------

http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-6066103.html?part=rss&tag=6066103&subj=n
ews

Calif. regulators OK broadband over power line test

Broadband service providers got the green light from the California
Public Utilities Commission on Thursday to test broadband over power
line (BPL) technology, paving the way for a third option in the
high-speed Internet market.

The technology known as BPL uses the existing utility lines that deliver
power to carry broadband signals into the home. For years, people have
hoped BPL would allow electric companies to become a viable third
alternative to the cable and telephone companies providing high-speed
access to the Internet.

But technical limitations and a bad habit of interfering with local
emergency radios have made BPL a tantalizing near-miss for the tech
industry.

Nevertheless, several utilities across the country are looking into
deploying BPL, and several big technology companies, such as Google, IBM
and EarthLink, are investing in the technology.
In other news:

I remember there being a home networking plug in to your power sockets,
but I didn't think our power lines were clean enough for data. Would
this be a possible option for those without cable (in the future of
course)?

-JP