funsec mailing list archives

Re: Daughter's computer

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:22:21 +0200

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:58:22 +0200, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
point her to the various adware and spybot cleaners available - which
are also free.
In my experince of a driveby, cleaners didn't and I had to reinstall. And
Microsoft says the same. I rather like the idea of following the Microsoft
recommendation and reinstall Windows, even though in this case, it means
I'll be installing Linux (if I can talk her into it).

I'll agree with Dr Solly here - I once spent a painful 4 hours with a selection of cleaners trying to clean a friend's PC after she had download several screensavers. The cleaners were crap, the most use they did was to identify what was on there so that I could clean it out manually.

I still shudder every time I go into IE's section of the registry.

It would have been quicker for me to have re-installed Windows from scratch.

As others have said, one of the more friendly distros (Ubuntu etc.) of Linux may be better - if she just surfs and does normal office stuff on the computer. (The reason I'm writing this on Windows is that this is actually my games machine and I haven't got 'round to reinstalling Linux on my work machine).

Number 1 thing: kill IE, kill it hard, with prejudice. :-)

dave