funsec mailing list archives

RE: If I were King - was: University of South Carolina e-MailCompromisesStudentIDs

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:11:26 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Brian Azzopardi wrote:

If it were me Iraq would now be either an official state or federal
protectorate of the United States
of America. The people would be enjoying our freedoms, form of law and
markets and we'd be enjoying
very low gas prices.

LOL - yeah, right after you stop the civil war between the Shiites and
the Sunnis.

Dude, you live on a very strange planet.

I think the theory is probably, nuke Bagdad, kill any who survive and let
Allah sort them out.

But seriously, and since Iraq has been mentioned, I'm getting increasingly
pessimistic about the mess there.  You might read some of the better blogs
written by Iraqis there (let me know if you want a few recommendations).
The security situation means that everything is grinding to a halt.

Imagine two teams of hackers (Sunnis and Shias) warring over your
computer, on which there is no security, because someone came along with a
sledgehammer and smashed up your firewall, antivirus, antispyware and
backup system. And that someone seems to be building permanent bases on
your computer, which makes you wonder if they'll *ever* leave, but they
don't seem to be doing anything about the two teams of hackers that are
making your computer unusable, they're only fortifying their own bases.

Death threats (and they're credible) are driving away anyone with an
education, the politicians that you elected a few months back, have been
unable to agree on forming a government, electricity is on for four hours
per day, and we're now THREE YEARS down the road from the original
invasion.

Don't look at the number of US and UK casualties - that's not the most
important issue, although obviously tragic. The important issue is that,
as far as I can tell, we're not making any progress.

I'm getting increasingly pessimistic, and I don't have any answers.