funsec mailing list archives

Re: AOL Charged With Blocking Opponents' e-Mail

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:20:28 -0400 (EDT)

Email should be a method of communication, not a method of
advertising.

What's the difference?  What method of communication hasn't been used
to carry advertising?

Think of it as a cell phone: Do you want advertising on your mobe?

No.

Would you like to give companies incentives to advertise on this
medium?  Why are you putting up with it on email then?

What makes you think I am?  And I don't put up with phone cold-calls
either.  I tell them flat out, I won't buy this from you, *because* you
cold-called me about it.  Then I drop their caller-ID into what I
informally call my "phone spammer" list, and the next time they call
they get special information tones (the 950/1400/1800 Hz sequence, to
make automated equipment think the line is dead) plus a recording for
humans explaining that I don't accept calls from numbers that have
cold-called me.

Still we havent shown advertisers that sending averts via SMTP is
wrong,

It's not wrong, when it's done consensually.  IMO at least.  "Consent,
not content."

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca