funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:32:52 +0200

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:12:31 +0200, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
If you guys dont have the massive amounts of paperwork like we do,
then your DB would be a lot smaller quota per person.

I can't remember stupid amounts of forms and my medical record used to fit into less space than a passport (okay, last time I saw the paper records was about 15 years ago).

Our GPs have been computerised for several years - even when I last visited one (about 8 years ago) they were using DOS based systems for everything.

I suppose Mr Loe hit it on the head: it depends upon which data is kept - if it's just basic records and notes it's relatively cheap - just a selection of interlinked database records.

If they want to go down the "we keep everything, no matter how useless" route that most companies seem to be jumping on, then it will cost a fortune for some people. (will this include private medical care too?)

dave