funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: knife ban going to work?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:50:13 -0500

On 5/26/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
> Technically you CAN'T remove them, the data isn't stored that way.
> However, one can propose that if drugs were legal, and gangs weren't
> fighting over them, the would do less killing. These are business
> killings. Its like including military kills in a murder rate, in my
> book.

You have an odd book. In everyone else's book, business killings are still
murder. If drugs were legal, then it would still be a business, and there
would still be business killings.

Business, military, whatever...
Again, this has nothing to do with the point being made.

> Further, you have the relationship between environment and violent
> crime. You're not going to try and say your slums match ours are you?
> Point is still, gun ownership is not related to murder rate.

I'm willing to believe that the slums in the "richest country in the
world" are worse than ours, although you might not have seen parts of
Glasgow, Birmingham and London.

I don't have to, I've been to New York, Chicago, St. Louis, DC, LA,
KC... shall I go on? I believe the World Factbook shows the UK as
being slightly smaller than the state of Oregon (Portland slums
anyone?!), figure it out.

> > > The UK - you keep happily dismissing - has the same number of
> > > homicides with guns in 00/01 as it had in 1998. THAT gives evidence
> > > that the murder rate isn't tied to gun ownership, does it not?
> >
> > I don't see how you deduce that.
>
> I deduce that from seeing the number of homicides for the UK and Wales
> dip from 95 levels and then start to climb back up again (it might not
> have topped off yet!).

So, we have a static murder rate, and a static gun ownership rate, and
you're deducing something from that. Well, you can't.

Huh? Are you blind? Do you only read what you want to read? ITS NOT STATIC!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicollinearity

> > What it says, is that we have a static
> > murder rate.
>
> No, its not static and its totally unaffected by the gun ban.

Oh, forgot to respond to this point?

> > And it's good that the US murder rate is falling, and I hope
> > that it gets down to UK levels.
>
> Yeah, it is good, and its happening without a gun ban!
>
> What are you missing here - gun ownership is not related to murder
> rates. At best, the ability of an individual to defend oneself with
> the most appropriate tool may reduce violent crime.

What you're missing here is that it isn't people that kill people, it's
people plus weapons that kill people, and a gun is probably the easiest
weapon for that purpose. And that, of course, is why you want to own a
gun.

Dumbest friggin' thing I have ever read - and a LIE. Again, according
to YOUR HOME OFFICE, murders with fists and feet make up half the
murder rate!!!

Quit this, you're just being dishonest and its plain stupid to
continue. I give you a fact from your own country and you give me some
emotional, knee-jerk, feel-good BS. I personally DO NOT CARE if you
like guns. I don't care if you ever reconsider your position on the
subject. I just want you to stop spreading lies about it.