funsec mailing list archives

RE: Re: knife ban going to work?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:28:32 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Brian Azzopardi wrote:

You bring up an important point: IMO the homicide rate per million is
too coarse a statistic.

Splitting the data along demographic and geographic lines, while prolly
not PC would be more illuminating. I have a hunch that most of middle
America and middle England would have a very similar homicide rate. Pure
speculation on my part but I think it's the outliers which skew the
results.

What do you mean by "middle England"? I don't know of any area by that
name.

I think what you're trying to say, is that if you look carefully, you'll
find a part of America where the homicide rate is lower than the average.
I'm sure that's true. You might even find a part of England where the
homicide rate per million is higher than that low part of the USA. And
then you can feel good about it.