funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Did USA Today get the story all wrong?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:45:24 -0500

On 5/18/06, coderman <coderman () gmail com> wrote:

this needs more explanation.  there are clear indications that not
even republican senators associated with intelligence oversight were
fully informed.  the briefings today behind closed doors with a larger
(but still small subset) of congress is the first time some of these
details have been presented to law makers.

I believe your wrong on this. The fact that some congress people were
briefed is exactly one of the AG and President's reasoning that it
isn't illegal - they had judicial oversight - that's their "out"
anyway.

<snip>

(and that said, it is also clear some parts of these programs were
discussed in bi-partisan environments with nary an objection voiced)

They all have - even if the subset consisted of two congress critters.
I'll even almost guarantee they insisted on it being bipartisan.