funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gartner: IPsec Dead by 2008

From: TheGesus <thegesus () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:40:05 -0500

On 1/16/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Huh. That's news to me. :-)

I'd be curious to hear what others think about this...

Via TechWorld.

[snip]

The IPsec protocol that has served remote access so well for the last decade is now in its death throes, Gartner has
prophesised.

[snip]

Well. IPsec is a backport from IPv6, and the DoD is supposed to be
100% IPv6 by 2008, so I don't see where Gartner's going with that
statement.  Plus, last time I talked to a Gartner analyst about IPv6
(Spring 2005) they pretty much poo-poo'd it to death.

This statement...

"IPsec served by a high-quality WAN connection remains a good choice
for users with managed workstations who need persistent high-speed
remote access connections to a corporate LAN"

is bullshit.  I'd take OpenVPN/SSL any day over IPsec.  No muss, no fuss.

I wonder if OpenVPN even made it into the Magic Quadrantâ„¢.