funsec mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability-based IPS Patent

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:00:38 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Richard M. Smith wrote:

Drsolly,

I *know* what was in Dr Solomon's Antivirus Toolkit :-)

Are you (or anyone else) aware of prior art for this AV patent:

http://tinyurl.com/39ntx

Patent 5,319,776
In transit detection of computer virus with safeguard

Abstract

Data is tested in transit between a source medium and a destination medium,
such as between two computer communicating over a telecommunications link or
network. Each character of the incoming data stream is tested using a finite
state machine which is capable of testing against multiple search strings
representing the signatures of multiple known computer viruses. When a virus
is detected the incoming data is prevented from remaining on the destination
storage medium. Both hardware and software implementations are envisioned.

Filed:  September 29, 1992

Symantec seems to own the patent now:

Symantec Buys Key Security Technology
Patent, Records First Quarter Charge
http://symantec.co.uk/press/2003/n030818a.html

Richard

Ah, the Hilgraeve patent, I remember that. I think Virus Guard (a TSR
scanner) was previous to September 1992. I'd have to check back on old
versions of the Toolkit to find out when we shipped it. I do remember that
they wrote to us about 10 years ago suggesting that we might like to
licence their patent, and we told them "No thank you", because we thought
at the time that they'd have no claim. I don't think they took it any
further at that time, so maybe they agreed with our opinion, or thought
it wasn't worth disputing.

Interesting sentence "Both hardware and software implementations are
envisioned."; I'm pretty sure they didn't have an antivirus at the time,
so they were patenting an idea, not an implementation.