funsec mailing list archives

RE: CME: A Total Failure -- Throw in the Towel

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:21:38 +1300

Drsolly to David Harley:

[This was mostly written a few days ago, but interrupted...]

But maybe that's the whole point. Glut has always been a problem,
but it's a little more complicated now. Variants, subvariants,
subvariants with multiple packers, multiple malcodes with
common code, malcode that mutates as new mods become available.
Traditionally, naming has depended on exchange of samples to
establish a common code set, as has testing. But we're not in
Kansas anymore, and those models don't work.

Here's what I don't understand about the Mitre scheme.

Suppose I have a file on a floppy disk. How do I determine whether this is
CME-24, or merely something that has some similarities to that?

There's nothing you shouldn't be able to understand there Alan; in
fact, it's all really rather simple...

CME is a (very incomplete) "dictionary" of "malware threats" that
(mainly) acts as a cross-reference of the names that the participating
AV companies detect specific examples of what they and the CME
maintainers jointly agree is a single (though possibly comprised of
multiple files, network streams, etc), specific threat.  For pragmatic
reasons, it is currently limited to only dealing with "important"
malware threats rather than trying to be a complete naming cross-
reference.  (Note that due to a twist of history, by the time CME
finally "got off the ground" the need for it had largely vanished, with
the "bad guys" who were previously writing and releasing mass-
propagating malware mainly diverting their attention to smaller-scale,
less-noisy, longer-lived malware increasingly being given "more sexy"
monikers like "crimeware" to satisfy the need for media exposure of an
increasing number of new "anti-[something]" software makers and/or
service providers who have latched onto the fact that folk like Alan
made wheelbarrows of dosh selling similar such stuff in the early days
of AV and apparently did so on thanks largely to the clever management
of the media's coverage of the emerging "virus threat"...)

For CME to be much more than that (like, "far from very incomplete"),
AND particularly if its aim is to become something of a solution to the
(historic) malware naming problem, someone (and you can be sure it
won't be the vendors who actually do the "deconfliction" now) will have
to spend a truckload of analysis time on the many, many samples of all
the stuff that currently makes CME "far from complete", and they will
have to devise a reliable way to separate different variants from each
other (at a very fine level if the aim is to solve the naming problem,
because that is the level at which (some of) the AV labs already do it)
while not separating different samples of "the same" polymorphic and
metamorphic malcode.

If CME does all that, it will have developed the vast bulk of the
technology necessary for a top-class virus/malware detector (something
massively superior to any wet-dream the OAV and Clam folk ever had).

I _may_ be being a tad skeptical here, but I don't see MITRE (or anyone
else) putting in anything approaching that level of effort _purely to
solve the malware naming problem_ as the development costs would surely
vastly outweigh any perceived benefits...  (Don't get me wrong -- I
agree with the AV users who wonder why all these (reputedly -- and
mostly _very_ deservedly) terribly smart top AV researchers cannot,
once and for all, resolve their differences when it comes to malware
naming, but as none of even the largest and loudest corporate critics
of the maning mess have actually committed a single purchasing dollar
to persuading any vendor that they need to tidy up "their part" of the
naming mess, I'm _sure_ the industry will not attempt to try to fix it
unilaterally...)

Finally, because far too many folk who really should know better think
malware detection is "glorified grep", far too many folk have far too
simplified a view of what the naming problem really is.  Those folks'
view of the problem is beyond the laughably naïve, yet they make up the
vast bulk of people aho comment on the (general) "failure of CME", the
failure of CME or anything else to solve the naming problem, and so on.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald