funsec mailing list archives

Re: CME: A Total Failure -- Throw in the Towel

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:26:00 -0800

So what is the failure exactly? Were you expected the CME numbers to be a substitute for the existing naming conventions? I can't speak for the CME guys, but I think that wasn't a goal. If I am able to determine that two malware names refer to the same thing because they have the same CME number, then it's a success as far as I'm concerned. I get the impression that they have't kept up with the volume well, that would be the only failure I could see.

                                        BB