funsec mailing list archives

DOSing Outlook 2003

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:10:42 -0500

Hi,

I've got some sort of bad email message in my POP3 inbox which Outlook 2003
is refusing to download.  I'm not sure what the problem is with the message,
but Outlook is complaining that it doesn't have enough memory to process the
message.  See the attached screen shot.

However, I am now stuck because I can no longer read email from this
account.  I suspect the message is a spam message, so there are maybe other
people in the same boat.

This seems like a security problem.  An email reader shouldn't get into a
mode where it can't read email, right?

I'm going to investigate this problem a bit later in the day with Telnet,
but I'm wondering what is the official procedure for fixing this kind of
problem inside of Outlook?

Richard