funsec mailing list archives

Re: “if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?”

From: Thomas M Carlsson <thomas () carlsson fm>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:19:39 +0000

Gadi Evron wrote:
Even I can't deny the need or the effectiveness, and
> I can see how cameras can be good for the public and
> law enforcement protecting the public. London has been
> a great example of that.

Still, like with many other such solutions, the perps
> just move elsewhere where cameras don't cover their
> every move. Whether it's another city block or another
> city is another issue all-together. Shuffling the
> trouble is always the best solution, right?

The reason why the UK likes to add cameras is that they're statistically proven to reduce crime wherever they're deployed. Thus, whenever city officials get complaints (from insurers, residents, police, etc) about a particular area being subject to increased criminal activity, said officials will be hard-pressed not to employ the most cost-effective known deterrent in the area (single basic CCTV units can be purchased -- with installation included -- for as low as £15 per month on a min 1-year contract nowadays).

The one thing to remember when considering the effects of camera deployment is that not all potential targets of crime are equally attractive to criminals - thus, camera deployment at natural crime hotspots (crowd gathering spots, ATM machines, etc.) has been shown to have an overall street crime-reducing effect within the confines of a city. Whether fortification of hotspots causes aspiring street criminals to redeem themselves, seek more paltry opportunities in the countryside or to just move into a whole different area of crime altogether still remains to be seen (and indeed is difficult to study directly, given the sensitivity of the subject matter).

Best Regards,

Thomas

--
  Thomas M. Carlsson, Researcher