funsec mailing list archives

RE: Administrator Accounts

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:26:15 -0600

My friend Susan Bradley said it in 2005 -

 "We need to understand that we need to protect ourselves a little bit
better. At the same time, the vendors need to step up to the plate.
Intuit, in particular, and other vendors that do not support limited
user rights are forcing me to make security decisions. They are the ones
causing insecurity on the desktop, not me."

But not all applications will run if the user does not have
administrative privileges, Bradley said.

"The ultimate goal is that every single application that we have
installed in our systems will run in user modes," Bradley said. "The
Microsoft applications do run in user mode. I cannot say that for the
rest of my stupid line-of-business applications. To get certified for
design for a Windows XP logo, you have to run as a user mode."

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid1_gci10507
37,00.html