funsec mailing list archives

RE: Court says cops can't yank video: 'Baby cam'catchesarrest on tape

From: "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:09:20 -0800

From: Brian Loe
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:43 PM

But the standard has been set - way back when - and it can't be
reversed. Further, if I'm in my yard video taping anything I can see
without going out of my way, what legal cause could the police have to
stop me or confiscate my tape?

I'm in the uncomfortable position of defending an action that I don't
fully support.  That said, I don't think the statute said that you
can't tape the arrest ... they said that you can't "take the tape
public", providing that you knew "it was intentionally recorded".
Whatever that means -- I think we'd need to read the actual statute
to decipher that last bit.