funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fun with (In)Security

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:09:38 -0000

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:09:23 -0000, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:
I don't mean to minimize the threat. There are definitely bad men who want to sneak into the country and kill a lot of people (as London unfortunately
learned)
If you're talking about the 7/7 bombings, we learned nothing of the kind.
The bombers were British born. Indeed, one of the most chilling things
I've ever heard, was the video tape made by one of the bombers. The scary
thing wasn't what he said, that was the usual stuff. The scary thing was
the very distinctive and totally Birmingham (Brummy) accent he spoke with.

As DrSolly said: the 7/7 and 21/7 bombers were British born - from Brum or West Yorkshire. The difference between the two attacks was that 7/7 was an organisation linked to Al Qaeda; the 21/7 was a copy-cat attack from a non-Al Qeada organistion.

The other thing to note is that the attacks could have been *much* worse.

What I have a problem with is the UK's reaction to the attacks - we have lived under a terrorist threat for over 35 years (the IRA), this has caused a larger loss of life than was caused in 7/7, and a massive amount of property damage and disruption (anybody remember the Manchester bomb - it took over 5 years to recover from that). So, why are we panicking now? AQ et al are a subtly different tactic and different aim from the IRA, this does not mean that all of a sudden we should drop our civil rights.

The terrorists made one other mistake: after 35 years bombs don't really scare the UK people. Firearms, on the other hand, freak the shit out of us.

dave