funsec mailing list archives

Re: Blackworm: those who forget the past...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:46:44 -0800

Date sent:              Sat, 28 Jan 2006 07:55:27 -0500
From:                   TheGesus <thegesus () gmail com>

Michelangelo Fiasco: a Historical Timeline

We were, in 1992, a) completely media unsavvy, and b) a victim of our own
success.  There were many examples of huge numbers of Michelangelo infections
being caught and disinfected in the weeks leading up to March 6.  We should have
been prepared, on the day, with the stories of how many computers we saved.  (I
think it was NJIT that had 3,000 infected machines, which, at the time, must have
been just about the sum total number of machines on campus.  Which were
discovered and cleaned just before the deadline.)

Then there was my baby brother, entrepreneur that he is.  He went around pooh-
poohing the Michelangelo stories to all his clients, until I finally (a few days
before the dealine) gave him a copy of F-Prot.  Whereupon he found out that his
machine was infected, and went and checked out his minister's computer, and
found *it* infected (my baby brother had been doing some work for the church),
and went and checked the church's computer, and found it was infected.  And, the
next day, who got his picture in the paper?  (Hint: *not* the author of "Robert
Slade's Guide to Computer Viruses.")

(There were also the unknowing.  In the months following March 6 I heard the
same story over and over again.  "Oh, no, we didn't have any Michelangelo
infections.  But, you know, it was strange, we had a hard disk failure that day ...")

They fail to mention McAfee IPO'd his company shortly after the
Michelangelo hype-a-thon.

This was also true.  I also remember both Symantec and Central Point releasing
free Michelangelo disinfectors that *only* checked for Mikey, but *appeared* to
check for everything else ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is
constantly making exciting discoveries.                - A. A. Milne
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade