funsec mailing list archives

Re: Pirates open fire on cruise ship off Somalia

From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv () multicians org>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:46:43 -0500

I just uploaded pics of the boat I am going to (hopefully) buy in December

Beautiful!  Minds me of a story.  Friend had a boat built.
(Bigger than yours, a "single handed voyaging boat.")
They were in a winter hurricane in Nova Scotia a few years ago,
and some plug bounced loose, and his navigation computer
crashed.  When he went to reboot, he got a message from
Windows that he had to call Microsoft and re-activate his OS.
He decided not to do this from the middle of the Atlantic,
sitting on hold at a dollar a minute not his idea of fun.
Navigated home by other means.

I was horrified that someone would build such a nice boat and
then depend on consumer grade operating systems for critical
functions. He didn't seem to be worried.  This is a former
colleague from the 60s, wide experience in operating systems
and server systems.. I was surprised.

Suppose you were choosing hardware and software for a safety
related application like boat navigation.  What would you use?