funsec mailing list archives

Re: Is RCE of malware illegal?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:15:51 -0800

Oliver Schneider wrote:
serious background: is RCE of malware illegal?

Possibly.

But, there is always the assumption that it is unlikely that the copyright holder will bring civil suit. At least with the older kinds of malware...

Imagine the spyware distributor has a EULA explicitly restricting RCE.
Assume furthermore the spyware uses rootkit techniques.

If you reverse-engineer it, you break the EULA (and you are not part of the
legal system while doing this).
From my understanding the reverser of the malware (or suspected malware)
does something illegal, no?

Some spyware is a bit harder, because the producers are sometimes very unrepentant, have money on the line, and are willing to use all stalling & legal tactics.

Some of them have forced AV companies to take them out of the spyware detection.

                                        BB