funsec mailing list archives

RE: ? - I don't know where to send this one, so I'm sending i t here...

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:26:37 -0500

Because many, many years ago, a certain PC-Magazine decided that it was
better for the software vendors to have many, many "signatures" of viruses
rather than identifying the "rogue" software.  And, at that time, there was
one vendor that DID identify the "bad" software (viruses).  Unfortunately,
that vendor never got good grades in this particular Pc-Magazine's virus
"surveys" BECAUSE they didn't have a lot of "signatures".  They just had
good software that worked BECAUSE it identified the bad software...  But, no
sigs, no good grades - so no-one bought their antivirus software...

I really ought to ignore this because it's so stupid nobody with a brain
could actually believe it, but instead I'll point out that my story in the
new issue of PCMag that came out yesterday is about non-signature-based
malware detection, including Panda TruPrevent, PrevX Pro, Star Force
Safe'n'Sec and Pivx preEmpt.

Several vendors have been trying to build such products for a long time and
if you ask me they're only now becoming worthwhile to run.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer