funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:59:35 -0700

Some interesting examples for campus LANs:

http://www.roxanne.org/~eric/blaster.html

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0402/gauthier.html

http://security.uconn.edu/old_site/uconn_response.html

On Oct 13, 2005, at 3:09 AM, Barrie Dempster wrote:

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 09:11 +0530, Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

How?  It's not like I know that Johnny is just about to plug in his
brand-spanking new Suse box on my network.  I'm intrigued.
Tell me more.

DHCP with MAC binding comes to mind - but you need a method in place
for getting the MAC address approved and management of that beast in
A hell of a task itself....

That has no relevance, they guy is talking about a campus network. So
lets say his students all have to register their MACs whats to stop them ramming an old version of an OS on the box, not updating the box etc...

Not to mention the tremendous overhead of trying to keep track of all
the machines that come in and out of the uni during the year. A lot of
wasted effort and it doesn't come close to addressing the problem.

The problem being that the machines are outwith the network
administrators control, they don't even belong to him or the network
owners. It's more similar to an ISP/customer relationship than it is to
company/employee relationship. Therefore if the ISP wants to protect
their network they have to make an effort to control the traffic from
these machines. A .edu is one of the few cases I think I[P|D]S's are
worth setting up. In a more controlled environment such as one where the network admin team has administrative control over all of the devices on
the LAN then these technologies may not have the desired benefit.

I do know a few of my clients have very rigorous schedules for how to
deploy patches, but they will throw a signature in with little test as
it's highly unlikely to break their application.

As for the subject of the thread, it's a stupid technology when deployed by stupid people. It can be an effective technology when deployed in an
environment where there is a need for it. There are many people that
believe defense in depth type concepts require you to use every security
technology known to man in order to create a network with closely
controlled security. This just isn't the case it's a matter of defining
the threats and defining the measures you will use to manage these
threats. An I[D|P]S may or may not fit the bill for the needs of one
scenario, this doesn't however rule the technology out completely for
others.

An analogy, because every body loves them!! There is a threat in my
house, as in I have poisonous chemicals under my sink (the cleaning
stuff). I have determined that an effective security measure would be to
add a latch to the cupboard that a young child couldn't open without
help. This manages the risk of my kids drinking bleach. However if an
adult breaks into my house and decides to steal my bleach I am not
protected from that by this latch, other security measures may help with
that such as the locks on my doors or alarms/cameras etc.. However if
someone gets past those mechanisms I'm not too worried about the bleach
since there are more worthwhile targets in the house. Compare this to
the University network, we can hopefully be sure that the accounting
systems will have adequate protection, constantly monitored, patched,
tested etc.... Where the students machines aren't. The I[D|P]S in this
case helps manage the risk of these less well defended machines without being terribly intrusive and demanding full administrative control. It's much more efficient for an I[D|P]S to handle these machines and let the
admin concentrate on the more serious mission critical infrastructure.

It is entirely subjective. Now Honeypots - thats a STUPID technology :-P

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things.

                      -- Doug Gwyn